Pastor Thomas Pietsch
Lecturer in Church History
Before studying for the ministry Tom studied economics and classics at Monash and the University of Melbourne. He was ordained in 2010 and served the Grovedale parish for four years. During 2015 and 2016 he studied for his masters at Concordia Seminary, St Louis, writing on Augustine’s treatment of nature and grace and its reception today. He is now a PhD student at Australian Catholic University where his focus of research is on Cyril of Alexandria and his treatise De Adoratione et Cultu in Spiritu et Veritate.
Tom is married to Chelsea and has two young sons. He still loves playing sports, watching old films, reading novels, participating in the liturgy, and being with his family.
- Lutheran Dogmatics
- Apologetics and World Religions
- Early and Medieval Church History
- Reform of the Church
- To the Ends of the Earth: The History of Lutheranism in Australia
- Worldly Wisdom: Interactions between Philosophy and Theology in the West
- LCA Commission on Worship
- Lutheran-Roman Catholic Dialogue member; Lutheran secretary
Qualifications in detail
- Bachelor of Commerce (Economics) (Monash University, 2003)
- Bachelor of Arts (Latin) (Monash University, 2003)
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons in Classical Studies) (University of Melbourne, 2004)
- Bachelor of Theology (Australian Lutheran College, 2010)
- Bachelor of Ministry (Australian Lutheran College, 2010)
- Master of Sacred Theology (Historical Theology) (Concordia Seminary, St Louis, 2017)
- Graduate Certificate in Theological Education (University of Divinity, 2018)
- Ordained 5 December, 2010 at Concordia College, Highgate
- Teaching commendations from the University of Divinity in 2019 and 2020
- Recipient of an Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship, 2019–present
Papers and publications
‘Extra Nos but not extraneous: Augustine’s De Natura et Gratia and contemporary receptions of Augustine.’ STM thesis, Concordia Seminary, St Louis.
‘René Girard, anthropologist of the cross.’ Lutheran Theological Journal 51, no. 2 (August): 119–134.
‘Hermann Sasse and Jaroslav Pelikan: confession and tradition.’ Logia: A Journal of Lutheran Theology 26, no. 2 (Eastertide): 31–40.
‘Have yourself an avaricious Christmas.’ MercatorNet, 17 December. https://www.mercatornet.com/articles/view/have-yourself-an-avaricious-christmas/17369.
‘Oscar Wilde and the broken heart.’ Life News 28, no. 2: 1–5.
‘The transcendent in the conversion of Augustine: a re-examination of his early theology of sex.’ Honours thesis, University of Melbourne.
Regular guest on the Kairos YouTube channel
‘What does it mean to be a Lutheran?’
‘Little known figures in Church history’
‘Being a Lutheran in an ecumenical context’
‘Dealing with hard questions’ (six workshops on apologetics)
‘Christ in the Old Testament’ (three-day course)
‘The theology of the Lutheran Reformation’ (three-day course)