Dr Merryn Ruwoldt
Merryn grew up in Melbourne’s outer north-east and routinely returns there to visit family and read newspapers that acknowledge more than two AFL teams. After attending Luther College, Merryn completed her secondary teacher training in Adelaide in the days when Lutheran Teachers College students still lived predominantly on campus. She then taught at Nhill Lutheran School, Luther College (Croydon) and St Martins Lutheran College (Mount Gambier) before finding herself back at Australian Lutheran College in 2011.
Merryn has always had an interest in the history of the relationship between the LCA and its schools and the impact of Lutheran theology on Lutheran schools. These interests led her to pursue postgraduate study exploring the dialogue between theology and education, and were ultimately responsible for leading her to teaching at ALC.
In more recent years Merryn has also become more fully and formally involved in the broader learning and teaching discussions at the University of Divinity, and she chairs the ALC Learning and Teaching Committee.
- Capstone Project
- Education and Theology in Dialogue
- Enhancing Capacity in a Christian School
- Ethics, Values and Decision Making for Educators
- Integrity in Higher Education
- Introduction to Lutheran Education
- Introduction to Teaching for Ministry
- Introduction to Theological Education
- Leadership for a Christian Context
- Lutheran Perspectives on Schooling
- Masters Capstone: Extended Project
- Principles and Context of Lutheran Schooling
- Principles of Teaching in Higher Education
- Specialist Applications in Higher Education
- Teaching in a Theological Education Context
- The Christ-centred School
Research areas: Education, Educational Theology (Minor Thesis only)
- Endeavour College Council Chair
- St Paul Lutheran School Council Member
Qualifications in detail
- Bachelor of Arts (University of Adelaide, 1987)
- Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary) (Adelaide College of Advanced Education, 1988)
- Graduate Diploma of Theology in Education (Lutheran Teachers College, 1993)
- Graduate Diploma in Business (Monash University, 1993)
- Master of Education Studies (Luther Seminary, 1998)
- Doctor of Education (Australian Catholic University, 2007)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Higher Education) (Flinders University, 2019)
Papers and publications
(with Andrew Jaensch) ‘The gift of Lutheran theology: unwrapping the present.’ Lutheran Theological Journal 51, no. 1 (May): 28–36.
‘A still small voice: is church and school dialogue sufficiently loud?’ Lutheran Theological Journal 47, no. 2 (Aug): 140–148.
‘Teaching science and/or ethical issues policy.’ St Martins Lutheran College.
‘To lead or not to lead—that is the question: an exploration of understandings of leadership in the context of the deputy principal in the Lutheran secondary school.’ EdD dissertation, Australian Catholic University.