Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology
The Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology supports participants to develop a critical appreciation of the Christian faith and its implications for their work in a faith-based education context. It aims to enhance the theological and spiritual awareness of those whose vocation is education, facilitating use of reflective practices to apply foundational knowledge and engage in the conversation between education and theology.
Graduates of the Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology
- have a critical appreciation of the Christian faith
- have skills to reflect critically on how theology informs professional practice in an education context
- have the confidence and capacity to engage in theological enquiry in an education context
- have enhanced capacity to engage with diverse views and particular faith traditions
- apply this knowledge and skills to enhance their local learning environment
The Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology is the equivalent of 3 standard units (72 points) but is normally comprised of 6 half units in order to assist students to manage the workload. The structure of the award is:
- At least one half unit in either the discipline of Education Studies or the discipline of Religious Education
- At least one half unit in either the discipline of Biblical Studies or the discipline of Systematic Theology
- Further units or half units at postgraduate level.
- A candidate who has satisfactorily completed the Lutheran Education Australia Professional Development Program Connect may be granted one half unit recognition of prior learning in the discipline of Education Studies.
- A candidate who has satisfactorily completed the Lutheran Education Australia Professional Development Programs Equip 1 and Equip 2 may be granted up to one unit recognition of prior learning in the discipline of Religious Education.
Units available for this award:
- BS8040L Big Questions: Human Sexuality
- BS8041L Big Questions: God for People Who Wonder
- BS8042L Big Questions: Caring for the Earth
- DA8040L Big Questions: School Worship
- DE8040L Service-Learning and Community Engagement: The Connection of Head, Heart and Hands
- DE8041L Service-Learning and Community Engagement: Who is My Neighbour?
- DR8040L Leading Christian Studies
(Available in 2020)
- Successful completion of an undergraduate degree, or an approved equivalent.
Where the first language is other than English, please see the English language proficiency requirements in the Admissions Policy.
ALC operates with a policy of credit transfer and recognition of prior learning (RPL); see the Credit Policy.
- Yes—this course can be studied entirely online.
- Yes—this course is registered for FEE-HELP.
- No—this course is only available for domestic students.
- The Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology is an accredited AQF level 8 award of the University of Divinity (UD).
- For further information, see UD course information for the Graduate Certificate in Education and Theology.