Master of Education and Theology
The Master of Education and Theology enables students to explore the nexus of education and theology in professional practice contexts such as faith-based schools. It also prepares them for further learning in these disciplines.
Graduates of the MEdTheol
- have mastery of educational and theological concepts which underpin the practice and mission of faith-based learning contexts
- have skills to reflect critically on professional practice in faith-based learning contexts, informed by education and theological theory
- apply insights from the dialogue between education and theology to generate and evaluate complex concepts in professional practice and further learning
- have communication and technical research skills to investigate, interpret and justify theoretical propositions and professional decisions in faith-based learning contexts
- apply relevant skills in the disciplines of education and theology through the execution of a substantial research-based project, capstone experience or piece of scholarship.
The Master of Education and Theology through ALC consists of 9 standard units (216 points). Teachers who hold a 4-year undergraduate teaching qualification or a Graduate Diploma in Education or equivalent will normally gain 3 units of RPL, and hence will only need to complete 6 units.
The structure of the award is:
- DE9016L Education and Theology in Dialogue
- 1 unit in either the discipline of Biblical Studies (BS) or Systematic Theology (CT)
- 1 unit in either the discipline of Education Studies (DE) or Religious Education (DR)
- 1 unit in either the discipline of Education Studies (DE), Religious Education (DR) or Systematic Theology (CT)
- Either 1 Capstone unit or RQ9748M Minor Thesis that integrates education and theology
- Further units at postgraduate level, provided that at least 4 units at AQF level 9 are included.
Units available for this award:
- BS9004L Biblical Texts and Traditions
- BS9020L Biblical Theology for Educators
- CT9004L Theological Foundations for Educators
- DA9001L Leadership for a Christian Context
- DE9016L Education and Theology in Dialogue (Required core unit)
- DE9017L Contemporary Issues in Learning and Teaching
- DE9019L Lutheran Perspectives on Schooling
- DE9035L Ethics, Values and Decision Making for Educators
- DR9032L Teaching and Leading Christian Studies
- DS9001L Spiritual Dimensions of Leadership in a Christian School
- XP9001L Masters Capstone: Extended Project (Capstone)
- XP9004L Capstone Project (Capstone)
- XP9020L Enhancing Capacity in a Christian School (Capstone)
Additional unit information
- For students considering future doctoral studies through the University of Divinity, a qualifying minor thesis is available—16,000 words (RQ9748M). This is a double unit and also satisfies the compulsory Capstone unit requirement.
- DE9019L Lutheran Perspectives on Schooling is available by negotiation only.
Only domestic candidates who are registered to teach in Australia are eligible for entry into this course. Teacher registration occurs through the relevant state teacher registration authority.
Candidates will have
- an initial teacher qualification recognised for teacher registration in Australia
- two years of full-time teaching experience or part-time equivalent.
Where the first language is other than English, please see the English language proficiency requirements in the Admissions Policy.
ALC operates with a policy of credit transfer and recognition of prior learning (RPL); see the Credit Policy.
- Most participants in this award study part-time at a rate of one unit per semester.
- Yes—this course can be studied entirely online.
- Yes—This course is registered for FEE-HELP.
- No—this course is only available for domestic students.