Master of Education and Theology
The Master of Education and Theology enables students to explore the nexus of education and theology in professional practice contexts such as faith-based schools. It also prepares them for further learning in these disciplines.
Graduates of the MEdTheol
- have mastery of educational and theological concepts which underpin the practice and mission of faith-based learning contexts
- have skills to reflect critically on professional practice in faith-based learning contexts, informed by education and theological theory
- apply insights from the dialogue between education and theology to generate and evaluate complex concepts in professional practice and further learning
- have communication and technical research skills to investigate, interpret and justify theoretical propositions and professional decisions in faith-based learning contexts
- apply relevant skills in the disciplines of education and theology through the execution of a substantial research-based project, capstone experience or piece of scholarship.
The Master of Education and Theology through ALC consists of 9 standard units (216 points). Teachers who hold a 4-year undergraduate teaching qualification or a Graduate Diploma in Education or equivalent will normally gain 3 units of RPL, and hence will only need to complete 6 units.
The structure of the award is:
- DE9016L Education and Theology in Dialogue
- 1 unit in either the discipline of Biblical Studies (BS) or Systematic Theology (CT)
- 1 unit in either the discipline of Education Studies (DE) or Religious Education (DR)
- 1 unit in either the discipline of Education Studies (DE), Religious Education (DR) or Systematic Theology (CT)
- Either 1 Capstone unit or RQ9748M Minor Thesis that integrates education and theology
- Further units at postgraduate level, provided that at least 4 units at AQF level 9 are included.
Units available for this award:
- BS9004L Biblical Texts and Traditions
- BS9020L Biblical Theology for Educators
- BS9021L Encounters with Biblical Theology
- CT9004L Theological Foundations for Educators
- DA9001L Leadership for a Christian Context
- DA9044L Chaplaincy: Spiritual Care in Public Places
- DE9001L Spiritual Dimensions of Leadership in a Christian School
- DE9016L Education and Theology in Dialogue (Required core unit)
- DE9017L Contemporary Issues in Learning and Teaching
- DE9019L Lutheran Perspectives on Schooling
- DE9035L Ethics, Values and Decision Making for Educators
- DR9032L Teaching and Leading Christian Studies
- XP9001L Masters Capstone: Extended Project (Capstone)
- XP9004L Capstone Project (Capstone)
- XP9020L Enhancing Capacity in a Christian School (Capstone)
Additional unit information
- For students considering future doctoral studies through the University of Divinity, a qualifying minor thesis is available—16,000 words (RQ9748M). This is a double unit and also satisfies the compulsory Capstone unit requirement.
- DE9019L Lutheran Perspectives on Schooling is available by negotiation only.
MEdTheol unit availability summary 2021
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
Only domestic candidates who are registered to teach in Australia are eligible for entry into this course. Teacher registration occurs through the relevant state teacher registration authority.
Candidates will have
- an initial teacher qualification recognised for teacher registration in Australia
- two years of full-time teaching experience or part-time equivalent.
Where the first language is other than English, please see the English language proficiency requirements in the Admissions Policy.
ALC operates with a policy of credit transfer and recognition of prior learning (RPL); see the Credit Policy.
- Most participants in this award study part-time at a rate of one unit per semester.
- Yes—this course can be studied entirely online.
- Yes—this course is registered for FEE-HELP.
- No—this course is only available for domestic students.