In 2020 ALC began the academic year with its inaugural Opening Conversation, a new event paving the way for open and public dialogue between the College and the Church. The topic of conversation was ‘ALC exists in partnership to serve’.
View the video: ‘ALC exists in partnership to serve’ on YouTube
ALC regularly hosts lectures and seminars open to the general public. These presentations are now often recorded and made available online to the wider church community.
- Opening lectures: presentations from the research of ALC teaching staff (2004 to 2019)
- Fritzsche Oration: highlighting the contribution of theologians of the Church to the history of Australian Lutheranism
- Special seminars from visiting researchers
- Ad hoc lectures from visiting theologians
Dr Beverly Yahnke (Executive Director for Christian Counsel at DOXOLOGY, The Lutheran Center for Spiritual Care and Counsel in Brookfield, WI, USA) presented a series of three lectures on pastoral care.
- 'The Importance of Referrals'
- 'Resilient Strategies for Overcommitted Pastors and Layworkers'
- 'Pastoral Awareness and Care for Mental Health Realities in the Parish'
Rev Dr Thomas Winger (Principal of Concordia Lutheran Theological Seminary, St Catharines, Ont., Canada) presented ‘The place of the epistle reading in the Divine Service’ at ALC on 16 August 2018.
Rev Ray Schulz presented 'Which Greek New Testament text do I choose?’ as a resource for students and pastors.
- See 'Which Greek New Testament text do I choose?’ by Rev Ray Schulz on YouTube.