Graduate Certificate in Teaching Religious Education
The Graduate Certificate in Teaching Religious Education prepares graduates to teach religious education. The particular emphasis at ALC is on the worldview and Christian Studies Curriculum Framework in use in Lutheran schools and early childhood services. It provides graduates with knowledge of the disciplines, principles, practices and pedagogy that form the basis for teaching religious education.
Graduates of the Graduate Certificate in Teaching Religious Education
- have a foundational knowledge and skills in theological disciplines of importance for teaching religious education
- have enhanced their capabilities to engage with particular faith traditions and spirituality
- have ability to communicate religious traditions to students by drawing critically on appropriate sources
- apply knowledge of contemporary approaches to the learning and teaching of religious education
- apply their knowledge to religious awareness and faith formation of students and the formation of religious identity in a school community.
At ALC, students study 3 standard units to complete this award. There are no elective units.
- Candidates must be concurrently enrolled in a graduate initial teaching qualification which makes them eligible for teacher registration in Australia, or
- hold an initial teacher qualification recognised for teacher registration in Australia.
Where the first language is other than English, please see the English language proficiency requirements in the Admissions Policy.
ALC operates with a policy of credit transfer and recognition of prior learning (RPL); see the Credit Policy.
Completion of admission includes a conversation with a course advisor.
- Participants normally complete the three units in order but schedule them in such a way as to fit elective spaces in their initial teaching award.
- Student are welcome to complete DE8004L as a stand-alone single unit if they have just one elective space.
- The full award cane be completed subsequent to the conferral of students’ initial teaching degree.
- Yes—this course can be studied entirely online.
- Yes—this course is registered for FEE-HELP.
- No—this course is only available for domestic students.
- The Graduate Certificate in Teaching Religious Education is an accredited AQF level 8 course of the University of Divinity (UD).
- For further information, see UD course information for Graduate Certificate in Teaching Religious Education.