Undergraduate Certificate in Divinity
The Undergraduate Certificate in Divinity offers students an opportunity to explore a range of theological, philosophical and ministry-related studies. Students may explore new or develop existing knowledge and skills for vocational and professional purposes. The Undergraduate Certificate provides a pathway to further undergraduate studies in divinity-related areas and is a foundation for lifelong learning.
The Undergraduate Certificate in Divinity is an undergraduate qualification taught in English which normally takes one semester of full-time study or two semesters of part-time study.
Graduates of the Undergraduate Certificate in Divinity
- have knowledge of some foundational concepts in the study of divinity.
- apply basic skills of interpretation to texts and concepts.
- apply knowledge and skills in contemporary contexts.
The Undergraduate Certificate in Divinity requires successful completion of 4 units (72 points) at undergraduate level from any discipline except Professional Counselling.
Students may explore one or more areas such as:
- Biblical Studies
- Mission and Ministry
Units available for this award:
- AL1001L Hebrew 1 (Offered alternate years)
- AL1003L New Testament Greek A (Offered alternate years)
- AL2002L Hebrew 2 (Offered alternate years)
- AL2004L New Testament Greek B (Offered alternate years)
- BA1001L | BA2001L Old Testament Introduction
- BN2001L Gospel Studies 1: Matthew and Mark
- BN2002L | BN1002L New Testament Introduction
- BS1003L Exploring the Bible
- BS2005L Interpreting the Bible
- CH1040L To the Ends of the Earth: The History of Lutheranism in Australia
- CH2002L Early and Medieval Church History
- CT1001L Prolegomena and the Triune God
- CT1002L The Christian Faith
- CT2005L Lutheran Confessions
- CT2041L Worldly Wisdom: Interactions between Philosophy and Theology in the West
- DE2007L Principles and Context of Lutheran Schooling
- DE3012L The Practice of Lutheran Education
- DP1008L Pastoral People 1
- DP1009L Foundations of Evangelism
- DP1013L Introduction to Teaching for Ministry
- DP1018L Survival Skills for Practical Ministry
- DP1027L Pastoral People 2
- DP1035L Pastoral People at Work
- DP1040L The One Who Serves: Foundations of Worship and Spirituality
- DP1041L The Body of Christ: Foundations of Pastoral and Congregational Formation
- DP2001L Church in Mission in Australian Society
- DP2002L Introduction to Pastoral Care and Counselling
- DP2012L | DP3012L Liturgics
Other units are available for study in this award. See the Advanced Diploma in Theology and Ministry, the Bachelor of Ministry and the Bachelor of Theology. For course advice contact email@example.com.
- Successful completion of Year 12 in an Australian secondary school, or equivalent.
- Probationary admission is available to approved persons aged 21 or greater who have not completed Year 12.
Where the first language is other than English, please see the English language proficiency requirements in the Admissions Policy.
ALC operates with a policy of credit transfer and recognition of prior learning (RPL); see the Credit Policy.
- Yes—this course can be studied entirely online.
- Yes—this course is registered for FEE-HELP.
- No—this course is only available for domestic students.
- The Undergraduate Certificate in Divinity is an accredited course of the University of Divinity (UD). Diploma, Advanced Diploma and Bachelor units are eligible for study.
- For further information, see UD course information for the Undergraduate Certificate in Divinity.
The Undergraduate Certificate in Divinity serves as an entry point to the University’s undergraduate awards in theology, philosophy and ministry.
Graduates may proceed to a Diploma in Theology, an Advanced Diploma in Theology and Ministry, an Advanced Diploma in Philosophy, or to the Bachelor of Ministry or Bachelor of Theology.