Courses for in-service teachers
ALC has several courses designed for the professional development of teachers, enabling you to reflect on your role in the educational and theological environment of a school.
Faith-based schools provide a vibrant education context for the study of the interactions between education and theology. These complementary disciplines inform each other and are lived out side by side in the day-to-day life of the school. The capacity to engage in the conversation between education and theology in the school context is of critical importance to the health and growth of the individual school and the school system.
All units in the following courses are delivered online. Access unit descriptions from the relevant course page or browse the available units on the Unit Management System.
Courses at a glance
- Especially for: teachers with at least two years’ experience who wish to deepen and/or broaden their understanding of theology within an education context.
- Length: Teachers with a four-year Bachelor of Education or graduate qualification generally complete 6 units or the equivalent of one full-time year; most teachers undertake one unit per semester for six semesters.
- Outcome: providing leadership in discussing key questions of how theology shapes education practice and how education practice informs theology.
- Especially for: Teachers and other school personnel who wish to deepen their understanding of theology within and education context. Participants must have an existing Bachelor’s degree. Those who have completed Lutheran Education Australia professional development programs Connect and/or Equip 1 and/or Equip 2 may be eligible for RPL into this award.
- Length: The equivalent of one full time semester.
- Outcome: Greater understanding of how the Lutheran worldview informs its school and early childhood services
- Especially for: inexperienced teachers or those not currently teaching in the Lutheran system.
- Length: four units or the equivalent of one full-time semester; most teachers undertake one unit per semester for four semesters.
- Outcome: fulfils most of the requirements for being accredited to teach Christian Studies in a Lutheran school.
- Especially for: teachers wishing to go deeper into the theology which underpins the Christian Studies Curriculum Framework in use in Lutheran schools, or who just wish to pursue their own theological interests.
- Length: three units or the equivalent of one full-time semester; most teachers undertake one unit per semester for three semesters.
- Outcome: may be used (If the appropriate pattern is followed) to fulfil most of the requirements to be accredited to teach Christian Studies in a Lutheran school.
- Especially for: teachers with at least three years’ experience who are in, or seeking to be in, middle and senior leadership roles in schools.
- Length: one standard unit and four half units or the equivalent of one full-time semester; most teachers undertake one unit per semester for three semesters.
- Outcome: satisfies most of the requirements for accreditation as a leader in a Lutheran school.
For further information and to discuss your unit selections, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.